Split, Croatian Conservation Institute, Split Conservation Department, July 2002
The fifty years of conservators' work in Split was presented for the opening of a new Croatian Conservation Institute building. In 1954 a conservation workshop within the former Conservation Department for Dalmatia was founded. The town of Split thus became the second centre of continuous conservation activity, after Zagreb, where the Institute for the Restoration of Works of Art with the Croatian Academy of Arts and Sciences was founded in 1948. The Split workshop was founded by Cvito Fisković, an academician and the then director of the Conservation Department for Dalmatia.
Some of the exhibition's highlights were: Madonna of the Rose Garden by Blaž Jurjev Trogiranin (around 1433) from the Trogir Church Art Collection; St. Francis of Assisi and St. Catherine of Siena by Matteo Ponzoni (around 1635) from Split Cathedral; the Romanesque crucifix from the Convent of St. Claire in Split; the polyptych from St. Cyprian Church in Vis (16th century) by Girolamo da Santa Croce; Sts. Cosmas and Damian by Giovanni Lanfranco (17th century) from the same name church in Lastovo; Madonna with Child and Saints by Giovanni Battista Pittoni (18th century) from St. Cyprian Church in Vis; a Roman floor mosaic from Gradina in Vis; Romanesque wall paintings from the Church of St. Michael in Ston; the stone relief depicting Christ from St. Spirit Church in Split; the wooden archbishop’s throne (17th century) from the Cathedral in Split.