Desinić, Veliki Tabor Castle, October 2007
The Veliki Tabor in the Light of Discovery exhibition marked the completion of the rehabilitation of the Palais and inner court galleries in one of the best preserved late medieval fortresses of continental Croatia.
Archaeological and conservation-restoration research conducted by the Croatian Conservation Institute since 1995 were presented in this exhibition, along with the rehabilitation of the castle which took place in 2006-2007 and included the renovation of exteriors and interiors of the Palais - the central and oldest part of the castle. The exhibition was presented in thematic units featuring the history of the castle, the pre-conservation condition, the research and developmental stages of the Palais, including a presentation proposal with the rehabilitation project and the work itself. The extensive construction and conservation-restoration work was completed in the autumn of 2007.
Veliki Tabor is a fortified medieval feudal town and a protected cultural monument. Its first tower was built in the 12th century, the other two in the 15th and the 16th century, while the present look of the castle dates back to 1820. Veliki Tabor was owned by the Princes of Celje, the Ratkay noble family and the great Croatian painter Oton Iveković. A 1993 Croatian Government decree ceded Veliki Tabor to the Museums of Hrvatsko Zagorje.
Exhibition catalogue [PDF: 43.3 MB]