Brochures and Booklets
Brochures and Booklets
The heritage of the Straub family of sculptors was researched in the international project Tracing the Art of the Straub Family (www.trars.eu). Besides the Croatian Conservation Institute (project leader), the Bavarian State Department of Monuments and Sites, Institute for the Protection of Cultural Heritage of Slovenia and the Universities of Ljubljana and Graz participated in its implementation, together with associate researchers from other heritage, religious, scientific and educational institutions. The project was co-funded by the European Commission through the Creative Europe programme.
Church of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin Mary in Kaštel Štafilić is a perfect example of a structure that combines traditional elements and Baroque stylistic forms. It was built in 1765 by Ignacije Macanović Raguseo from Trogir. The chapel and the sacristy were added ten years later.
The Republic of Ragusa was formed from the medieval Dubrovnik commune. Though at the center of geopolitical interests of big powers, Respublica Ragusina succeeded in preserving its freedom and independence for centuries (1358-1808), ensuring the prosperity of the economy of intermediate trading and maritime transport, and the development of culture and science.
Chapel of St. Wolfgang above Klenovnik is a late-Gothic stone single-nave structure with a polygonal sanctuary, but the bell tower on the façade was added at a later date. The chapel is located on the ridge of a hill, and an old pilgrim’s trail leads to the church with Baroque stone stations along the path. The youngest monument of late Middle Ages in northwest Croatia is unique because of its location, patrocinium, and structural characteristics. Harmony between the chapel architecture and surrounding landscape creates an exceptional ambience.
Sacra conversazione painting (280 x 190 x 1.8 cm) from Krk is one of the largest Renaissance paintings on wood in Croatia. Historical and art analyses indicate it was created by the workshop of Bernardino Licinio, a painter from Bergamo active in Venice in the first half of the 16th century. Within his opus, the Krk painting from 1531, is one of three preserved large altarpieces painted on wood. The first was created in 1530 for the San Vito church in Ferrara, and the second is the famous Sacra conversazione from 1535, painted for the Santa Maria Gloriosa dei Frari church in Venice. The inscription at the bottom of the painting MDXXXI / SVPTIB. P.F.P. CRASSOVICH. DE. VEGLA confirms it was a donated in 1531 by the Krašović family from the city of Krk.
Parish Church of St. Nicholas was first mentioned in 1266. In 1441, it was given a Gothic polygonal sanctuary with a lierne vault. The side chapels were first built in 1659, and underwent an extensive Baroque reconstruction in the 1760s, when they were transformed into side-aisles and equipped with new altars.