Seminar, Zagreb, Mimara Museum, 4th and 5th October 2011
The seminar rganised by the Ruđer Bošković Institute and the Croatian Conservation Institute. Mr. Quoc Khoi Tran from the NucleArt Laboratory of the French Atomic Energy Commission (Commissariat a l’Energie Atomique) from Grenoble, France participated as an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) expert.
The aim of the seminar was to introduce irradiation procedures to conservators, conservators-restorers, curators and all other specialists involved in the care, protection and presentation of cultural heritage artefacts, as well as to artefact owners and users.
The seminar covered two topics:
- ‘’Irradiation Desinsection and Disinfection of Cultural Heritage artefacts’’ on Tuesday, 4th October 2011, in the multimedia room in the Mimara Museum
- ‘’Consolidation of Degraded Heritage Artefacts by Impregnation with Radiation-Curable Resin and Subsequent Irradiation’’ on Wednesday, 5th October 2011, in the Ruđer Bošković Institute.
On Wednesday 5th October 2011 visits were organized to the Ruđer Bošković Institute’s gamma irradiation facility and to Croatian Conservation Institute’s workshops, where conservation-restoration procedures on irradiated artefacts were demonstrated
Official languages were Croatian and English.
The seminar was part of a wider technical cooperation project with the International Atomic Energy Agency, IAEA - TC Project RER/8/015: “Using Nuclear Techniques for the Characterization and Preservation of Cultural Heritage Artefacts in the European Region”.
Topics covered by the seminar represent a continuation of lectures and discussions of the “Microbiological degradation of cultural artefacts” seminar, organized by the Croatian Conservation Institute in 2000.
- Nevenka Novosel: Presentation of regional TC project RER/8/015 [PDF: 360 KB]
- Branka Katušin-Ražem, Mario Braun: Participation of Croatia in the IAEA Project RER/8/015 [PDF: 6.7 MB]
- Khôi Tran: ARC-Nucléart: A workshop for conservation of cultural heritage using gamma irradiation [PDF: 5.1 MB]
- Želimir Laszlo: The Problem of Biodegradation of Cultural Heritage Artefacts in Museums, Collections and Sacral Buildings [PDF: 7.4 MB]
- Dušan Ražem: Načela radijacijske dezinsekcije i dezinfestacije u zaštiti predmeta kulturne baštine / Principles of Desinsection and Disinfection of Cultural Heritage Artefacts Using Irradiation Method [PDF: 1,6 mb]
- Irina Pucić: Utjecaj gama zračenja na predmete kulturne baštine od organskih materijala / Effects of Gamma Irradiation on Organic Cultural Heritage Artefacts [PDF: 2,6 mb]
- Romana Jagić: The experience of conservator-restorer in the use of irradiation [PDF: 2 MB]
- Khôi Tran: Consolidation of artefacts by gamma irradiation [PDF: 4.4 MB]
- Branka Katušin-Ražem, Dušan Ražem, Mario Braun: Irradiation treatment for the protection of cultural heritage objects - Croatian experience [PDF: 8.4 MB]
- Mario Braun, Nevena Krstulović, Lana Lalić: Overview of the current state of wooden polychromed sculptures from Gora [PDF: 3.8 MB]
- Siniša Cvetković, Romana Jagić: The altar of the St. Cross, Kamensko, church of the Blessed Virgin Mary of Snow [PDF: 2.2 MB]
- Dragica Krstić, Romana Jagić: Istraživanje mikrobiološke populacije na polikromiranom drvu / A survey of the microbiological activity on samples of polychromed wood [PDF: 1.5 MB]
- Romana Jagić: Polyptich of the Virgin Mary from the church of St. Francis in Pula [PDF: 2.4 MB]
- Igor Kozjak, Tatjana Mušnjak: Desinsection of book bindings by γ radiation [PDF: 721 KB]
- Bernarda Rundek Franić, Anamarija Franić: Garments of Alka [PDF: 2.5 MB]
- Katja Kavkler, Andrej Dešmar, Nina Gunde Cimerman, Polona Zalar: Analiza tekstila zaraženog gljivicama nakon zračenja gama zrakama [PDF: 581 KB]
- Maja Vrtulek: Preventive conservation of ecclestiastic textiles from Franciscan monastery in Slavonski Brod [PDF: 82 MB]
- Mihaela Grčević: Ethnographic objects – preventive desinsection by irradiation [PDF: 450 KB]
- Radmila Iva Janković: Project ''Atelier Kožarić''. Conservation of objects by irradiation desinsection [PDF: 631 KB]
Programme [PDF: 180 KB]
List of participants [PDF: 90 KB]