The Croatian Conservation Institute (Hrvatski restauratorski zavod) with the support of the Ministry of Culture of the Republic of Croatia organized a conference „Ethical Approach to Works of Art Made of Textiles“ which was held from October 23rd to 25th 2013 in the Museum Mimara in Zagreb, Croatia.
Having in mind the importance of continuous education for experts who are in touch with works of art made of textiles and their cooperation this conference was organized as continuation of previously held conferences on historic textiles organized by the Croatian Conservation Institute : “First conference of conservators-restorers and preparators of textile in Croatia” in 2007, “The most important procedures in preservation and state enhancement of historic textiles” in 2008, “Conservation-restoration research of works of art made of textiles” in 2010, “Mandatory documentation of historic textiles” in 2011.
Subjects of the conference „Ethical approach to works of art made of textile“ were:
1. Ethical codes, legal regulations on protection and preservation of cultural heritage, understanding the value of works of art
2. Ethical approach in practice I: storage, displaying, preventive conservation, research, documentation
3. Ethical approach in practice II: intervention on objects – complete conservation-restoration works
Thematic lectures regarding certain category of historic textile were held on previous conferences and the program of this conference contained a lecture on flags as important historical symbols of every country or community. The program also contained demonstrations of successfully solved ethical dilemmas on choosing the appropriate conservation-restoration methods, display or storage of works of art.
On the first day of the conference participants visited the exhibition "Gnalić - Treasure of a 16th Century Sunken Ship" and the Collection of flags and streamers in the Croatian History Museum. You can find the photographs of the visit on the Croatian History Museum website.
Conference Programme (PDF: 42 KB)
List of participants (PDF: 89 KB)
Posters and Presentations
- Dr. sc. Gojka Pajagič Bregar: Štetno djelovanje raznih činitelja na tekstilne artefakte / Harmful impact of various factors on textile artefacts
- Gordana Car: Nužni konzervatorski postupci na tekstilnim predmetima iz kripte požeške katedrale Sv. Terezije Avilske / Necessary conservation treatment of textile items from the crypt of the Cathedral of Saint Teresa of Ávila in Požega
- Gordana Car: Preinaka izložbene lutke za muzejsku prezentaciju muškog odlela Pala Gozze (Dubrovnik, Hrvatska) / Modification of an exhibition mannequin for the museum representation of Palo Gozze man's suit (Dubrovnik, Croatia)
- Ada Vrtulek Gerić: Konzervatorsko-restauratorski radovi na zastavi Dobrovoljnog vatrogasnog društva Varaždinske Toplice / Conservation and restoration work on the banner of the Varaždinske Toplice Volunteer Fire Brigade
- Tanja Jurkin, Branka Katušin-Ražem, Dušan Ražem, Bernarda Rundek Franić, Ana Marija Franić, Maja Vrtulek, Venija Bobnjarić-Vučković: Radijacijska metoda u zaštiti tekstilnih predmeta kulturne baštine / Irradiation method for the protection of cultural heritage artefacts made of textile
- Marijana Pavunc, Tanja Pušić, Edita Vujasinović: Objektivan dokaz organoleptiĉke procjene učinka čišćenja povijesnih tekstilnih predmeta / Objective evaluation of organoleptic findings regarding cleaning efficience of historical textiles
- I. Pucić, K. Kavkler, B. Mihaljević: Radijacijska obrada starenih modelnih uzoraka tekstila / Radiation treatment of artificially aged model textiles
- Maja Vrtulek, Ada Vrtulek Gerić: Konzervatorsko-restauratorski radovi na Rupcu svilnaku iz Etnografske zbirke tekstila Muzeja grada Koprivnice
- Maja Vrtulek, Ada Vrtulek Gerić: Preventivna zaštita i konzervacija rubaca iz Etnografske zbirke tekstila Muzeja grada Koprivnice / Preventive preservation and conservation of scarves and conservation-restoration work on the Svilnak Scarf from the Ethnographic Textiles Collection of the Koprivnica Municipal Museum
- Venija Bobnjarić-Vučković: Tekstiloteka u Restauratorskom centru Hrvatskog restauratorskog zavoda u Ludbregu / The Textile Collection in the Conservation Centre of the Croatian Conservation Institute in Ludbreg