Parish Church of St. Nicholas was first mentioned in 1266. In 1441, it was given a Gothic polygonal sanctuary with a lierne vault. The side chapels were first built in 1659, and underwent an extensive Baroque reconstruction in the 1760s, when they were transformed into side-aisles and equipped with new altars.
Churches in Šibenik were furnished with high quality wooden altars in the first half of the 17th century. It is assumed that all of them were made in Venetian workshops and then shipped to Šibenik by sea. Nine altars from that period have been preserved. Unfavorable economic and political situation in Dalmatia slowed down larger investments needed to follow the trends in church furnishings and replace dilapidated altars.
St. Brice in Kalnik is an exceptionally valuable ecclesiastical structure due to the preserved historical layers, the artistic scope of the partialy preserved wall paintings from the 14th century, and the rare example of a complete late medieval wall painting in the shrine. Ana Deanović discovered, restored, and evaluated the wall paintings in mid-20th century. The staff of the Croatian Conservation Institute continued her work in 2012 and started extensive archival, scientific, and conservation research. They confirmed the assumptions about the architectural genesis of the church from the 14th to the 20th century, and the original materials and techniques used in the earliest phases of the church. Along with the previously unknown earlier architectural elements, four new fragments of wall paintings belonging to the same series characterized by quality Italian Trecento were discovered.
During the European Year of Cultural Heritage, the completed phase of archaeological research and the presentation project of the medieval hillfort of Turčišće – Gradišće at Domašinac will be presented.